Wednesday, December 19, 2012

{Weekend Organizer} Clean the Couch

Finally!  My large chase for my sectional has been cleaned! Ever since I came across a pinterest DIY for this I was like, YESSSS, totally need to clean it.  It took me a couple of months to gather the supplies, because I kept forgetting what I needed to pick up and then finding the time and energy to want to complete this hefty task.

COUCH: AFTER CLEANING
Though I have to say that my couch really wasn't that dirty, as it's been shampooed at least twice since we purchased it from another family off Craigslist back in March so it looked nothing like the stained couch in the pinterest posting.  Nonetheless, I still wanted to try this method....maybe, just maybe it would keep my dog from licking the couch and leaving wets huge spots, I know gross.  Plus, I wanted to stop using a sheet to cover the couch - looked totally tacky  - to keep him from doing so and I wanted to sell it so I could buy a loveseat that would fit better in the space as this piece is 7' long and 5' would be more appropriate.

I started by pouring the alcohol into a spray bottle and then moved the sectional to an open space.  I then removed all the cushion and began to clean the back of the couch,  the very back of the couch, the seat cushion, and lastly the back cushions.  Overall the cleaning wasn't to bad, but the smell of alcohol did permeate in the main floor for a while.  I was pretty content with the end results, and overall it took about it an hour to complete.  Next time I think I'm going to use a white or beige colored sponge that doesn't have an abrasive side so that I can see more of the dirt.  It was a bit hard to see any dirt on the purple sponge, or it could have been that it wasn't as dirty as I thought it would be.

Eventually, I would like to sew a cover for my couch, but at the present time I don't have any sewing skills to even try to attempt this task so cleaning it for now is at least a step forward.  Plus, the cover will help to add some contrast to my very neutral living space.







No comments:

Post a Comment