Friday, April 19, 2013

Saying Goodbye is hard to do


In Loving Memory of Grandpa Jack
Also, on the 11th my grandfather Jack passed away, after a year of battling with lung cancer and chemo.  He had been bed ridden these past few months, and it's been very hard on my grandmother so it's a relief to know that he will be celebrating in heaven now and wont be stuck in bed all day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jack W. Uhl Sr.
April 13, 2013
Parkersburg News and Sentinel  Obituary

Jack W. Uhl Sr., 80, of Mechanicsburg, Pa., formerly of Parkersburg, died April 11, 2013, at the VA Center at Claremont Nursing and Rehabilitation, Carlisle, Pa.

He was born April 24, 1932, in Lubeck, W.Va., a son of the late Frank W. and Euvana Powell Uhl. He was retired from Central Storage and Transfer Co. of Harrisburg, Pa., and Shaffer Trucking of New Kingstown, Pa. He also was a U.S. Army veteran serving in the Korean War. He enjoyed watching NASCAR racing and Philadelphia Eagles football.

 
Korea Vet hat that he was very proud of.  

He is survived by his wife of 28 years, Ellen Uhl of Mechanicsburg, Pa.; one son, Clarence Uhl and his wife Susan of Enola, Pa.; two daughters, Sondra Kleiber and her husband Jeffrey of Cottage Grove, Minn., and Wanda King and her husband Alan of Carlisle, Pa.; five grandchildren and five great-grandchildren; brother, Neil Uhl of Williamstown, W.Va.; three step-sons, Kenney, Larry and Steve George; three step-grandchildren; and one step-great-grandchild. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by one son, Jack W. Uhl Jr.; one brother, Vaughn Uhl; and one sister, Anna Montgomery.

Services will be 1 p.m. Monday at the Leavitt Funeral Home, Parkersburg, with Rev. Edward Gamble officiating. Burial will follow at Evergreen Cemetery South. Visitation will be noon-1 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, the 14th I drove to my dad's place as the plan was to leave for Parkersburg, WV around 2am so we could arrive on time for the 11am viewing and funeral.

Up at 2:24am, showered and packed for the 5 hour trip to WV this morning w my dad, his wife Jani & her son for my grandfathers funeral. We made a pitt stop at Sheetz so my dad could get stronger coffee & I grabbed a fruit bowl & a muscle milk for breakfast. It's now 3:46am and were finally heading out.


We had the breakfast buffet at Shoney's once we arrived in Parkersburg then afterwards, my dad drove us around to show us his old stomping grounds.  One of our stops included a short visit to my uncle Larry's before heading over to my grandmother's sisters place to change.


There was a bit of drama in the beginning with my 2nd step mother showing up, but I was glad to see her pay her respects.  She was with my dad for 10 years and did spend time with my grandparents.  The casket was beautifully chosen, even though this wasn't the casket my grandmother had chosen originally.  The interior fabric was a lovely baby blue.



It was very hard to keep my composure, especially when is saw him in the casket.  It just wasn't him and it was hard not to cry.  I pretty much teared away all of my makeup.  


The service was a beautiful service and they had other veteran's there to do his sound-off before the folding of the flag.  My dad also gathered all the shells and handed them out to family as a momenta and two for my grandmother to keep in the flag. 

We were also able to capture my grandmother with all of her boys
From Right to Left: Uncle Kenny, Larry and my dad Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment